who i am
My expertise is in self-sustaining change with a focus on leadership and innovative thinking. I have been called an "organizational travel agent," helping clients figure out where they want to go and getting them there faster.
Work projects include:
David's wisdom has been simply invaluable to both Free the Children and myself. He has helped us ensure our unique culture while embracing significant change. We could not have done this critical work without him.
- Summit for America's Future—Chaired by Colin Powell during the Clinton administration, co-facilitated a meeting uniting governors from every state, senators, and the mayors of every major US city in focusing on understanding and implementing an innovative youth support model.
- Government of Northern Ireland—Working with church committees, led a conflict mediation effort that created strategies for minimizing inter-faith violence in high profile neighborhoods.
- Barclays Bank—Coordinated planning and business alignment sessions that improved strategy and team effectiveness in private banking, capital markets and compliance.
- Free the Children—Provided long-term counsel on growth, planning and leadership to the largest youth helping youth organization in the world. Resulted in numerous partnerships, including "O Ambassadors" with the Oprah Angel Network.
- Atlantic Philanthropies and Open Society InstituteFacilitated a strategic plan to abolish the death penalty in the United States. The process, involving key legal and advocacy organizations, resulted in a coordinated national and state-by-state campaign.
- Shell Oil—With key Shell executives, helped implement a $260 million SAP conversion that far exceeded expectations. Delivered on time and under budget engaging thousands of users.
- Women for Women International—Advised the founder, board and key leaders in entrepreneurship and structure with this leading women's advocacy organization including post-conflict Bosnia-Herzegovina and Rwanda.
- Temagami First NationCreated with the chief and council of this First Nations community a new model in self-determination by focusing on the preferred future through the voices of it's youth. Resulted in a common ground twenty year vision, and agreed upon actions for forward movement.
- Survivor Corps—In partnership with the founder, led the transformation of the Landmine Survivors Network, from strictly landmine focused to a broader organization, whose mission it is to support survivors of war, conflict and trauma.
- Atlantic Philanthropies—Engaged key national leaders in the launching of a movement focused on older adults becoming more active citizens. Outcomes include the creation of an agreed upon unifying vision and long-term coordinated fundable actions.
I teach at the Wharton School of Business, Canada's Richard Ivey School of Business, and Cambridge University, and authored the best-selling Lightning in a Bottle: Proven Lessons in Leading Change and co-authored The Randori Principles: The Path of Effortless Leadership with Jim Hassinger. My work has been featured in Fortune, Business Week, The New York Times, the Washington Post, and the London Times.
In addition, for more than two decades, I've been leading intensive retreats in leadership and cross-cultural wisdom on Lake Temagami in Northern Ontario, Canada.
I hold a doctorate in organizational psychology from Temple University, and a second doctorate in divinity from Naropa University. I am on the board of The MacDowell Art Colony.